Children’s Occupational Therapy aims to develop a child or young person’s ability to carry out the daily activities that they want to do or are expected to do. The service supports people in the community from 0-18 years (if still receiving secondary or special education input) who live or attend school in the Dudley borough.
We provide a community based service in a range of settings such as homes, schools, nurseries or The Sunflower Centre. Our service offers specialist assessment and intervention to enable and maximise the potential for children to engage in their daily living activities (occupations) such as:
- Eating and drinking
- Mobility and seating
- Toileting, bathing and personal hygiene
School and Nursery Activities:
- Fine motor skills (e.g. using scissors, ruler)
- Organisational skills
Intervention may include:
- Individual therapy sessions focussing on the child’s identified needs and goals
- Group therapy sessions e.g. baby group, handwriting, ‘Bikeability’, football and parent workshops
- Information and advice on equipment or strategies to enable participation in daily activities at home or school
- Supporting schools and nurseries with the ‘Get Moving’ programme
- Assessment and provision of hand splints
- Liaison with parents, teachers and other professionals.
Referrals can be made by any healthcare professional, including health visitors, school nurses, GP’s, consultants and other therapists.
Referrals must be in writing and be discussed and agreed with the child/family. They can be posted or emailed to the Children’s Occupational Therapy Department at the Sunflower Centre.
The service is provided Monday – Thursday 08.00-17.00 and Friday 08.00-16.00 (excluding bank holidays).
The Children's Occupational Therapy Manager
The Sunflower Centre
John Corbett Drive
Tel: 01384 366912 or 01384 361369
Dudley Children’s Occupational Therapy Facebook page
NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde: A fantastic website offering a range of advice to help develop your child’s life skills