Our Learning Disability Community service is for people over 18 years of age who have a diagnosed learning disability, are unable to access mainstream health services effectively and/or require access to a specialist health team. We have teams in Walsall, Dudley, Sandwell and Wolverhampton.
In summary the service enables:
- The highest level of independence possible
- Prevention and avoidance of unnecessary hospitalisation
- Facilitation of timely discharge from hospital inpatient care
- Support to patients to access their physical and mental heath care in a person centred way which meets their individual needs as far as possible
- Improvement of communication methods/mechanisms
- People with Learning Disabilities to live as independently as possible in the community
- Provision of specialist training for other care professionals to enable them to support the needs of specific people in their care effectively
- Promotion of the values and outcomes set out in the Quality of Life Standards and Quality of Health Principles
- Building the Right Support - A national plan to develop community services and close inpatient facilities for people with a learning disability and/or autism who display behaviour that challenges, including those with a mental health condition published: 30th October 2015)
- Involvement of patients in the decision making about their care
- Signposting and navigation of assessment of need for family carers to help support them with the demands of caring
- Provision of timely and accessible intervention to patients experiencing psychiatric, psycho-social, behavioural and/or pharmacological problems.
The team includes: Community Learning Disability Nurses, Consultant Psychiatrists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Psychologists, Speech and Language Therapists, Specialist Behaviour Support Therapists and ‘Promoting Access to Mainstream Health Services’ staff.
Anyone can refer into this service by contacting us on the telephone number for your local team.
All teams work Monday- Friday 9:00pm-5:00pm.
44 Pond Lane,
Telephone: 01902 444447
The Ridge Hill Centre
Brierley Hill Road
Telephone: 01384 323047
Rounds Green Road
Telephone: 0121 543 4287
Orchard Hills House
Telephone: 01922 658 800