The Health Visiting Team offer a universal service for all families with children aged 0-5 years old. The team aim to empower families to provide the best possible start in life for their children. We also offer health and wellbeing support and advice for the whole family, from pregnancy through to the child entering school in their reception year.
Health Visitors are qualified nurses with additional qualifications and specialised training at degree level or equivalent. They work in partnership with people, with the aim of empowering individuals, families and communities to improve their own emotional, physical and social health. Many Health Visitors have special interests and additional qualifications so can help with issues such as healthy weight, perinatal mental health, behaviour management, sleep problems, baby massage and domestic abuse.
Their role includes:
- Offering parenting support and advice on general family health and minor illnesses
- New birth visits which include advice on feeding, safe sleeping and care for your newborn baby
- Offering well baby clinics to seek advice and review your baby’s health, including their weight and development
- Providing families with specific support on subjects such as breastfeeding
You can expect to receive contact by your Health Visiting team, as a minimum at:
- From 28 weeks of pregnancy - in the antenatal period
- Between 10 – 14 days of your child’s birth
- When baby is 6-8 weeks of age
- Between 9 - 12 months of age
- Between 2 – 2½ years of age
Health Visitors work with families, in the Dudley Borough, before and after babies are born and continue to work with children in their early years. They aim to help promote good health and prevent illness by offering practical help and advice.
The team also includes nursery nurse staff who have specialist knowledge in areas such as child development, healthy eating, behaviour and sleeping.
Health visitors are automatically notified by the hospital when a child is born, but can also be informed of new families within the area from the Child Health Department.
The Health Visiting service is available between 9.00 and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).
The Health Visiting service is split across five localities within the Dudley Borough
Dudley HV service Clinic Timetable - please note that these clinics are not ruining currently due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Lullaby Trust baby check app which can be downloaded from the Google Play or App Store